Skip to content
How to Install
- To download the OpenVPN Windows installer, visit the OpenVPN downloads page.
. This is a simple, user-friendly GUI-based OpenVPN client software package for configuration and management on Windows OS.
- Select the Windows Installer option.
- Click Run to run the installer.
. You may encounter a security prompt: “Do you want to run or save this file?” Click Run to run the software.
. You may encounter a User Account Control prompt: “A program needs your permission to continue.” Click Continue.
- The Setup Wizard prompt will appear. Click Next to continue.
- The OpenVPN license agreement and terms appear. Click I Agree to continue.
- The component selection dialog appears. Leave all components checked with their default settings and click Next.
- Select your destination folder and click Install.
. Note the Destination Folder location during install (usually
- When the installation is complete, click Next.
- The wizard will notify you of the completion of the installation and prompt you to click Finish.
- Download the Windows configuration (from your VPN provider).
- Click Open.
- Extract the files from the configuration ZIP into the config folder in the OpenVPN destination folder referenced in step 7. By default, it will be
. Click File.
. Click Extract All.
. A setup wizard window will open: “Welcome to the Compressed (zipped) Folders Extraction Wizard”. Click Next.
. “Select a Destination” prompt will appear. Click Browse.
. Locate the Destination Folder referred to in step 7, and find the config folder within it. Click Next to begin extraction.
. Click Finish.
How to Connect
- Find the OpenVPN GUI icon on your desktop and right-click it to bring up a context menu.
- Select Run as Administrator.
- If a User Account Control prompt appears, click Continue.
- In the taskbar tray, right click on the OpenVPN GUI icon.
- Find the site to connect to from the menu, and choose Connect from the site’s submenu.
- Enter your VPN Login and Password when prompted and click OK.
- The OpenVPN GUI icon in the tray will turn green once the secure connection is established.
How to Disconnect
- Right click on the OpenVPN GUI icon in the taskbar.
- Find the site you are connected to, and choose Disconnect from the site’s submenu.
- The OpenVPN GUI icon in the tray will turn red once the disconnection is complete.